Monday, October 31, 2016

Beef, Cabbage, and Noodles!

This recipe is low-histamine and dairy-free. But don't let that scare you off. It's really delicious. Update 11/12/16: I've been stealing my husband's leftovers from the freezer. It's what I had for lunch today, even.

A friend posted this recipe: http://www.spendwithpennies.com/cabbage-noodles/

A quick look at the preview photo told me it could be a low-histamine winner with some adjustments.


So, here's what we had for dinner tonight, and it was absolutely delicious. I could have eaten a lot more of it but wanted to conserve the leftovers to head to the freezer for my husband's lunches. (He is the one with the histamine disorder.)

1 (12 oz.) package wide egg noodles, unenriched (the only ones we could find were whole wheat ones, which was fine because the ingredients were only whole wheat and egg)
1 lb. ground beef
1 tablespoon to 1/4 cup oil (I used extra-virgin olive oil)
1 onion (as tolerated), minced or chopped
1 clove garlic (as tolerated), minced
1/2 head green cabbage, cored and chopped
Salt

Cook noodles according to package and set aside. In a very large pan, cook ground beef until lightly browned. Add one tablespoon olive oil and onion. Cook until onion is translucent and lightly caramelized. Add garlic and cabbage. If you're running out of room like I was and need your cabbage to cook, add a small amount of water and the lid to the pan and steam until cabbage is almost done. Add noodles, stir until hot, and serve.

If you tolerate legumes, the original recipe included 2/3 cup frozen peas, added with the noodles. I omitted because my husband does not prefer the texture.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yes!!! It's a recipe which could easily have things swapped out. Heck, even cooked rice could be used instead of cooked noodles, you know?

      Delete