Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Low-Histamine Five-Minute Instant Pot Hobo Dinner

We needed to get to a local Halloween event. But we needed dinner for when we got back. Not enough time for the crock pot or even to thaw meat, because it would have been 10PM by the time we ate. So, I threw this thing together, and it was very, very delicious. Thanks, culinary school.

Husband has a mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) and has recently switched to eating low-histamine to try and manage his symptoms. Low-histamine diets are famously restrictive and can be bland, but we're trying to avoid that! I'll be posting recipes as often as I am able for meals that go especially well.

Five-Minute Hobo Dinner for the Instant Pot (low histamine meal)

1 lb. ground beef, frozen
2/3 cup organic baby carrots
2 organic Yukon gold potatoes, sliced very thick
1 clove garlic, minced
Dash smoked paprika (if tolerated)
Large pinch dry or fresh lovage (herb)
Salt
1 1/2 cup water
Organic corn starch

Add all ingredients to the Instant Pot. Set to Meat/Stew for 45 minutes. Natural release when finished. Remove food to a large, deep plate or platter, leaving juices in IP. Break up the ground beef. Bring the juices to a boil using Saute function. Add corn starch slurry (corn starch mixed with water until smooth) and add to juices. Simmer until thick. Salt to taste, pour over rest of food. Serve hot.

Next time, I will probably leave the potatoes whole because they became quite soft. I may also try reducing the time, because the meat was thoroughly cooked. Adding peas or green beans should also work well in this dish.

Image source: http://i2.wp.com/dadcooksdinner.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/InstantPotGiveaway-7624.jpg

5 comments:

  1. This looks really good. I am in the proccess of being diagnosed with MCAD. Tomorrow I should be getting my drs diet list. Everything I've seen online makes it so confusing but this looks like something I can eat with the food allergies I already have and if it's know to be low histamine, it's a win-win :) is a slow cooker different than a pressure cooker?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man! Tonya, I am sorry! My husband got his diagnosis recently as well--early this year. A pressure cooker cooks under high pressure, but the finished effect is the same--ultra tender meat, etc.! We use the Instant Pot. It does a roast from frozen to falling apart in two hours! We love it.

      Delete
  2. Does the water get added with all of the ingredients listed before it or does the water not go in until you make the slurry and add it later?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used it twice and it quit working while I was using it the second time. Had to finish cooking my meal in my crockpot and eat it the following day.electric pressure cooker

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you ever figure out your husband’s histamine issue? Read the reviews on the book “Toxic” on Amazon... holy eye opener for me! Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete