Sunday, January 1, 2017

Allergy-friendly amazing BBQ sauce! Low-histamine, no nightshade, gluten free, dairy free, soy free

One of my husband's greatest griefs with being diagnosed with MCAD was the loss of his beloved barbeque sauce. He isn't able to consume spices or tomatoes, along with all his other dietary restrictions.

My honors thesis in culinary school was on cooking for patrons with special dietary needs. Meant to be, the two of us, I tell you.

One day, in the car, I was struck with an inspiration for how I could create a barbeque sauce he could have.

And oh my. Is it ever good. He's used it on chicken already, and tonight, it was the glaze for our low-histamine and allergy-friendly meatloaf, too! No one would ever know this is a special allergy-modified recipe... my non-restricted toddler asks for this one specifically now!

This barbeque sauce is thick, smoky, and sweet.

(image source: http://foodinjars.com/arugulapesto/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/three-jars-sweet-cherry-bbq-sauce.jpg)

Allergy-Friendly Amazing BBQ Sauce!

1/2 c. blackstrap molasses (a great source of iron and potassium; have a little extra on hand to add to taste if you wish)
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/3 c. pure pumpkin or other sweet squash puree (we make and freeze our own from sugar pie pumpkins)
1 T. tamarind paste (we got ours on Amazon--it's been a nice thing to have on hand to make things tangy)
1 (10-ounce) jar jam or jelly
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 c. liquid smoke (or to taste)
2 t. onion powder
1 t. minced dried onion
Salt, to taste (mine needed a lot to taste like store-bought BBQ sauce, probably at least 1 tablespoon)

Put in small crock pot or pan and simmer until desired flavors are achieved, at least 2 hours. Adjust flavors and cool. Freeze in ice cube trays if histamine is an issue.

7 comments:

  1. Oh, your thesis made my eyes well up. It’s rare that i find a compassionate food service worker. I’m usually met with some sort of look that indicates i shouldn’t be there if I’m that sensitive. Bless your kind heart.

    I can’t wait to make this!! Any kind of jam or jelly work best?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this great recipe! I made it for my son who was recently diagnosed with a histamine intolerance. One of the things he missed the most was BBQ sauce which broke him out with itchy hives. This sauce is delicious. Made BBQ chicken with it that we all loved!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. 1 jar (like a jam or jelly jar) to put your sauce in. I believe

      Delete
  4. Is the jam/jelly jar for the jar or do you actually out jelly in the recipe and which flavor do you use if so?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is the jam/jelly jar for the jar or do you actually put jelly in the recipe and which flavor do you use if so?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a jar to put in the sauce. I use 10 oz jar of grape or plum jelly.

    ReplyDelete